9-1 Subsistence Best Practices
Erik Winters posted Aug 4, 2022
In this activity, evaluate the policy that you analyzed for your final project using the U.S. Government Accountability Office's (GAO) best practices and leading practices in collaboration. Provide a high-level overview of how you think the policy that you analyzed is performing or did perform on these measures and recommendations for how efforts could be improved.
Best Practices and Leading Practices in Collaboration
· Define and articulate a common outcome.
· Establish mutually reinforcing or joint strategies.
· Identify and address needs by leveraging resources.
· Agree on roles and responsibilities.
· Establish compatible policies, procedures, and other means to operate across agency boundaries.
· Develop mechanisms to monitor, evaluate, and report on results.
· Reinforce agency accountability for collaborative efforts through agency plans and reports.
· Reinforce individual accountability for collaborative efforts through performance management systems.
Congress has set a broad, common outcome for all the efforts towards subsistence fishing (and more broadly, native lifestyles preservation) in the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (ANICLA) of 1980. It states in Title VIII that " . . . it is necessary for the Congress to invoke its constitutional authority over Native affairs and its constitutional authority under the property clause and the commerce clause to protect and provide the opportunity for continued subsistence uses on the public lands by Native and non-Native rural residents (ANICLA, 1980). However, while the federal government has managed subsistence activities on federal lands in Alaska giving rural citizens a priority, the State of Alaska manages subsistence on State and private lands but gives no priority to native or rural residents (UAF, n.d.).
Despite Congress providing a fairly clear desired outcome, there is an awkward disunity between Federal and State efforts at the big picture level which have resulted in thousands of laws and lawsuits which have ultimately come to an unsatisfactory state of affairs resulting in the 2009 statement of Secretary of the Interior Salazar that the State of Alaska was not meeting its end of the bargain and that the Federal government would review its policies in regards to ANICLA (UAF, n.d.), and the most recent lawsuit regarding conflicting State and Federal fishing orders in a dispute over ANICLA jurisdiction on the Kuskokwim River (Brooks, 2022).
Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act. Title VIII § 801 (1980) https://www.nps.gov/locations/alaska/upload/ANILCA-Electronic-Version.PDF
Brooks, J. (2022, July 13). As Kuskokwim fishing lawsuit grows, lawyers say subsistence could be affected across Alaska. KTOO. Retrieved August 3, 2022, from https://www.ktoo.org/2022/07/13/as-kuskokwim-fishing-lawsuit-grows-lawyers-say-subsistence-could-be-affected-across-alaska/
University of Alaska Fairbanks. (n.d.). Tribal governance. Tribal Hunting and Fishing Rights: Subsistence (ANILCA 1980) | Tribal Governance. Retrieved August 3, 2022, from https://uaf.edu/tribal/academics/112/unit-3/tribalhuntingandfishingrightssubsistenceanilca1980.php
For your response posts, do the following:
In your responses to your classmates, provide feedback on their overviews. Do you agree with their assessments? Why or why not? Are there factors that could be considered?
Write a post of 1 to 2 paragraphs.
Demonstrate more depth and thought than saying things like “I agree” or “You are wrong.” Guidance is provided for you in the discussion prompt.
Consider content from other parts of the course where appropriate. Use proper citation methods for your discipline when referencing scholarly or popular sources.
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need this assignment or any other paper?
Click here and claim 25% off
Discount code SAVE25